Paris, France 25/10/2011
The General Conference meets every two years. The participants are all the Member States and Associate Members; non-Member States, intergovernmental organizations and non-governmental organizations are invited as observers.The General Conference decides on the main lines of emphasis and general policy to the implementation of UNESCO’s work by:
- discussing all the issues concerning the general policy of the Organization, and occasionally by focusing on certain major themes;
- adopting a programme and budget for the next two years, the draft of which is submitted to the General Conference and is the outcome of a consultation process between the Member States and the Secretariat;
- electing the Members of the Executive Board for a four-year term (renewed by half at each session);
- appointing, every four years, the Director-General;
- adopting (every six years) the Medium-Term Strategy of the Organization.